Technology is in the process of completely transforming all aspects of 4 industries – construction, medicine, retail, and transport – with a significant reduction in the need for human labor. Here is the impact on the Transport Industry:
- The return of electric-motorized vehicles (invented in 1884; by the early 1900s, nearly 40% of American cars were electric) will decimate the current car industry infrastructure (dealers, maintenance and repair, gas stations). Nearly 20 major countries have stated their intent to phase out combustion engines.
- The development of autonomous vehicles (cars, buses, trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft) will increase travel safety, while not requiring human control.
- Vehicle sharing/renting (Uber, Lyft) will reduce car ownership, especially in cities, which will reduce the need for parking spaces, freeing up large areas for pedestrian traffic. Garages will be turned into mini-apartments.
- High-speed inter-city travel (via trains or hyperloop tunnels) will enable long distance commuting.
- The time for Inter-continental travel will also be greatly reduced (hyperloop, space travel).
- Flying taxis will start operating in a few cities world-wide in 2020.
- Elon Musk has innovative businesses involving many of the above: Tesla (autonomous electric vehicles), Solar City (batteries), The Boring Company (tunnels for hyperloop travel), Space X (hyperloop, inter-continental travel).
The technologies involved in the above include electric motors, energy storage (electric car batteries), AI (autonomous operation), hyperloop (inter-city travel), drones (flying taxis), reusable space shuttles (inter-continental travel), virtual reality (travel booking)..
The number of jobs in the Transport Industry will be significantly reduced:
- Autonomous operation will eliminate the need for truck drivers and couriers (including pizza delivery drivers), and reduce the need for ship crews and aircraft pilots.
- Electric cars will reduce the need for car salespeople, distributorships, and mechanics.
LEARN FROM THESE YOUTUBE VIDEOS
... AND LEARN MORE FROM THESE ADDITIONAL VIDEOS
Autonomous hotel room picks you up at home, and takes you to your hotel (AI/Autonomous Hotel Room – 2019-01 – CNet)
New autonomous pods move in swarms to improve public transportation (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2018-02 – Dubai Media Office)
Ford’s self-driving cars to become Miami’s new pizza delivery guy (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2018-02 – ZDNet)
A conversation with the president of Didi Chuxing, the world’s largest ride-sharing company (AI/Autonomous cars – 2017-10 – Charlie Rose)
Baidu anticipates fully autonomous vehicles on highways by 2020 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
Driverless trains could take lead in the world of automated vehicles (AI/Train – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
REVIEW THESE INFORMATIVE ARTICLES - AND READ THOSE THAT INTEREST YOU
Panasonic is preparing for a future where most drivers don't own cars (Autonomous Cars/AI - 2019-04 - TechRepublic)
Panasonic is preparing for a future where autonomous and electric cars upend the auto industry, and most cars are sold to ride-sharing companies like Uber or Lyft, who are already placing large orders with the same specifications. Car ownership is reducing substantially amongst millennials, especially those living in cities. Costs are being reduced by integrating more components into a single module.
Singapore university partners with Volvo to pilot a full-size autonomous electric bus (Autonomous Bus/AI - 2019-03 - ZDNet)
Singapore’s Nanyang Technological University and Volvo Buses have launched a driverless electric bus stretching 12 metres long that can accommodate 80 passengers.
LG Uplus and Hanyang successfully trial 5G autonomous car in Seoul (Autonomous Car/AI - 2019-03 - ZDNet)
LG Uplus and Hanyang University have successfully trialled their 5G-connected autonomous vehicle, which rode on the streets of Seoul alongside regular cars. The vehicle rode through roads with heavy traffic, driving 8 km in 25 minutes, while changing lanes and reacting to cars cutting through traffic.
Muji’s autonomous bus hits the road in Finland (Autonomous Car/AI - 2019-03 - FastCompany)
Finnish vehicle manufacturer Sensible 4 has developed, Gacha, the first autonomous minibus that can navigate both city streets and small, unmarked suburban roads under all imaginable weather and lighting conditions.
Concept: Autonomous hotel room picks you up and delivers you to your hotel (Autonomous Hotel Room/AI - 2019-01 - CNet)
Aprilli Design Studio introduces the autonomous hotel room concept, complete with basic sleeping, working and washroom functions, which you order like a Uber, and which takes you to your destination with stops and with drone roof-top deliveries.
Waymo One is the world’s first self-driving taxi service (Autonomous Car/AI - 2018-12 - FastCompany)
A description of what it’s like to drive in an autonomous car with the Waymo User Interface.