Technology is in the process of completely transforming all aspects of 4 industries – construction, medicine, retail, and transport – with a significant reduction in the need for human labor. Here is the impact on the Transport Industry:
- The return of electric-motorized vehicles (invented in 1884; by the early 1900s, nearly 40% of American cars were electric) will decimate the current car industry infrastructure (dealers, maintenance and repair, gas stations). Nearly 20 major countries have stated their intent to phase out combustion engines.
- The development of autonomous vehicles (cars, buses, trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft) will increase travel safety, while not requiring human control.
- Vehicle sharing/renting (Uber, Lyft) will reduce car ownership, especially in cities, which will reduce the need for parking spaces, freeing up large areas for pedestrian traffic. Garages will be turned into mini-apartments.
- High-speed inter-city travel (via trains or hyperloop tunnels) will enable long distance commuting.
- The time for Inter-continental travel will also be greatly reduced (hyperloop, space travel).
- Flying taxis will start operating in a few cities world-wide in 2020.
- Elon Musk has innovative businesses involving many of the above: Tesla (autonomous electric vehicles), Solar City (batteries), The Boring Company (tunnels for hyperloop travel), Space X (hyperloop, inter-continental travel).
The technologies involved in the above include electric motors, energy storage (electric car batteries), AI (autonomous operation), hyperloop (inter-city travel), drones (flying taxis), reusable space shuttles (inter-continental travel), virtual reality (travel booking)..
The number of jobs in the Transport Industry will be significantly reduced:
- Autonomous operation will eliminate the need for truck drivers and couriers (including pizza delivery drivers), and reduce the need for ship crews and aircraft pilots.
- Electric cars will reduce the need for car salespeople, distributorships, and mechanics.
LEARN FROM THESE YOUTUBE VIDEOS
... AND LEARN MORE FROM THESE ADDITIONAL VIDEOS
Ford’s self-driving cars to become Miami’s new pizza delivery guy (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2018-02 – ZDNet)
A conversation with the president of Didi Chuxing, the world’s largest ride-sharing company (AI/Autonomous cars – 2017-10 – Charlie Rose)
Baidu anticipates fully autonomous vehicles on highways by 2020 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
Driverless trains could take lead in the world of automated vehicles (AI/Train – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
REVIEW THESE INFORMATIVE ARTICLES - AND READ THOSE THAT INTEREST YOU
Waymo to add 62,000 more Chrysler minivans to self-driving car fleet (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - ZDNet)
China gets its first driverless street sweeper (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - Euronews)
Driverless trains coming to Thailand (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - People's Daily Online)
Self-driving shuttles to make employee travel more efficient (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - TechRepublic)
You can catch a self-driving Waymo taxi in 2019 - if you're traveling to Phoenix (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - TechRepublic)
A new MIT project could bring driverless cars to rural roads (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - Futurism)
Autonomous vehicles will transform urban life by 2020, if Waymo’s time line is correct (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - The Atlantic)
A look inside London’s ongoing experiment with autonomous shuttles (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - The Verge)
80% of all items will be delivered autonomously within a decade (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - Bloomberg)
Waymo is offering free driverless taxi rides around Phoenix (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - TechnologyReview)
Waymo’s self-driving trucks will start delivering freight in Atlanta (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - The Verge)
Uber’s self-driving trucks are making deliveries in Arizona (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-03 - Engadget)
Mass transit to be prioritized over cars by Boring Company (Hyperloop/Mass Transit - 2018-03 - Futurism)
New autonomous pods move in swarms to improve public transportation (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-02 - TechRepublic)
Ford's self-driving cars to become Miami's new pizza delivery guy (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-02 - ZDNet)
Nuro’s self-driving vehicle is a grocery-getter and errand-runner (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-01 - TechCrunch)
Autonomous freight barges to debut in August, 2018 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-01 - Futurism)
General Motors to roll out fleet of self-driving taxis by 2019 (AI/Autonomous Taxis - 2017-12 - TechRepublic)
Autonomous car hardware (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2017-11 - PalmBeach)
• Eight surround-view cameras that provide 360 degrees of visibility around the car for <250 meters.
• Twelve ultrasonic sensors that detect objects at nearly twice the distance as the cameras.
• A forward-facing radar with enhanced processing that provides additional data. It uses sensors that can see through rain, fog, dust, and even the car ahead.