Technology is in the process of completely transforming all aspects of 4 industries – construction, medicine, retail, and transport – with a significant reduction in the need for human labor. Here is the impact on the Transport Industry:
- The return of electric-motorized vehicles (invented in 1884; by the early 1900s, nearly 40% of American cars were electric) will decimate the current car industry infrastructure (dealers, maintenance and repair, gas stations). Nearly 20 major countries have expressed the intent to phase out combustion engines.
- The development of autonomous vehicles (cars, buses, trucks, trains, ships, and aircraft) will increase travel safety, while not requiring human control.
- Vehicle sharing/renting (Uber, Lyft) will reduce car ownership, especially in cities, which will reduce the need for parking spaces, freeing up large areas for pedestrian traffic. Garages will be turned into mini-apartments.
- High-speed inter-city travel (via trains or hyperloop tunnels) will enable long distance commuting.
- The time for Inter-continental travel will also be greatly reduced (hyperloop, space travel).
- Flying taxis will start operating in a few cities world-wide in 2020.
- Elon Musk has innovative businesses involving many of the above: Tesla (autonomous electric vehicles), Solar City (batteries), The Boring Company (tunnels for hyperloop travel), Space X (hyperloop, inter-continental travel).
The technologies involved in the above include electric motors, energy storage (electric car batteries), AI (autonomous operation), hyperloop (inter-city travel), drones (flying taxis), reusable space shuttles (inter-continental travel), virtual reality (travel booking)..
The number of jobs in the Transport Industry will be significantly reduced:
- Autonomous operation will eliminate the need for truck and train drivers and couriers (including pizza delivery drivers), and reduce the need for ship crews and aircraft pilots.
- Electric cars will reduce the need for car salespeople, distributorships, and mechanics.
LEARN FROM THESE YOUTUBE VIDEOS
... AND LEARN MORE FROM THESE ADDITIONAL VIDEOS
Ford’s self-driving cars to become Miami’s new pizza delivery guy (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2018-02 – ZDNet)
How tech will revolutionize transportation in the 2020s (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2018-02 – ZDNet)
A conversation with the president of Didi Chuxing, the world’s largest ride-sharing company (AI/Autonomous cars – 2017-10 – Charlie Rose)
Baidu anticipates fully autonomous vehicles on highways by 2020 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
Uber to Offer flying taxi service by 2020 (AI/Flying Taxis – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
Driverless trains could take lead in the world of automated vehicles (AI/Train – 2017-04 – ZDNet)
REVIEW THESE INFORMATIVE ARTICLES - AND READ THOSE THAT INTEREST YOU
Rolls-Royce has demonstrated the world’s first fully autonomous ferry in Finland. (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-12 - VentureBeat)
Waymo One is the world’s first self-driving taxi service (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-12 - FastCompany)
A self-driving car that delivers packages to homes and businesses (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-12 - Business Insider)
Over 1 million electric cars sold in the U.S. (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-12 - ScienceBlog)
First autonomous freight train network fully operational (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-12 - Ars Technica)
Waymo to start first driverless car service in December 2018 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-11 - Bloomberg)
Ford wants to launch a fleet of thousands of self-driving cars in 2021 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-11 - MIT Technology Review)
Driverless buses will transform business travel at airports (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-11 - TechRepublic.com)
Volvo is going to use autonomous trucks to haul stone out of a mine in Norway (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-11 - MIT Technology Review)
Autonomous trucks don't need a cab, which makes them far more efficient to drive (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-11 - Wired)
Waymo to launch ride-hailing service with self-driving vehicles (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-10 - TechCrunch)
Rolls-Royce partners with Intel to bring autonomy to ships (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-10 - ZdNet)
Waymo 1st company in California to test autonomous cars on public roads (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-10 - San Francisco Chronicle)
Volvo unveils all-electric, autonomous truck without a cab (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-09 - Electrek)
Autonomous vehicles could charge themselves (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-09 - MIT Technology Review)
Germany launches world's first autonomous tram (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-09 - The Guardian)
The world's first self-driving grocery delivery cars (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-08 - FastCompany)
Self-driving shuttles hit Detroit streets (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-08 - Detroit Free Press)
Waymo’s self-driving cars will serve as a link to public transit (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-07 - MIT Technology Review)
Logging is the latest ground transportation industry to start adapting autonomous driving (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-07 - ZDNet)
Rolls-Royce plans to create a flying taxi (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-07 - TechRadar)
Self-driving grocery delivery car will sacrifice itself to save pedestrians (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-06 - Popular Science)
Kroger to bring driverless cars to grocery delivery (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-06 - CNBC)
Self-driving shuttles hit Detroit streets (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-06 - Detroit Free Press)
How AI, VR and AR will change how you vacation (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - Big Think)
Target uses AR for makeup shopping on-line and in stores (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - TechRepublic)
Waymo to add 62,000 more Chrysler minivans to self-driving car fleet (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - ZDNet)
China gets its first driverless street sweeper (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - Euronews)
Driverless trains coming to Thailand (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - People's Daily Online)
Self-driving shuttles to make employee travel more efficient (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - TechRepublic)
You can catch a self-driving Waymo taxi in 2019 - if you're traveling to Phoenix (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - TechRepublic)
A close look at uberAIR, a ridesharing network for the sky (AI/Flying Taxis - 2018-05 - TechCrunch)
A new MIT project could bring driverless cars to rural roads (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-05 - Futurism)
California to legalize robot taxis (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-04 - TechRepublic)
Driverless cars can operate in California as early as April 2018 (AI/Autonomous Vehicles - 2018-02 - Recode)