“Technology… brings you great gifts with one hand, and stabs you in the back with the other” (C. P. Snow)
TECHNOLOGY WILL ELIMINATE OUR JOBS SOMEDAY; IT IS ALREADY CHANGING THEM!
The impact of technology on careers and jobs is accelerating – and will continue to do so. EVENTUALLY ROBOTS WILL BE ABLE TO DO ALMOST ALL OUR JOBS BETTER THAN WE CAN.
This may take between 30 and 75 years, according to a 2015 Oxford University survey of Artificial Intelligence experts. That’s a long time off! But it’s going to be a gradual process, with jobs and careers continuously being revamped to incorporate new technology – and skills, which we’ve developed over years or even just learned at college, will become useless.
Many of us are asking questions like:
- One day I’m going to be replaced by a damn robot, and I don’t know what to do.
- My daughter came to me asking for career advice, and I didn’t know what to say to her. I felt so hopeless.
- I feel like all the old saying about going to university and getting a good degree so that you’ll be fixed for life, is no longer true – but what’s the alternative?
- My workplace is changing so rapidly, I don’t know how to keep up.
- I fear for my children when they grow up and have to earn a living. How can I prepare them?
HOW HAS OUR WORLD OF WORK CHANGED OVER THE PAST FEW YEARS?
PROTECT YOUR CAREERS WITH TWO NEW WEBSITES!
… provides up-to-date news of technological advances that impact jobs. Webpages are organized by Technology and Industry. News about some of the major issues raised by technology’s impact on society are also provided. Primary pages show videos and articles from the current and previous years. News from prior years are archived in a separate page attached to each primary page.
… introduces new ways of thinking about work and the non-technical skills which we all need to develop. It also offers coaching services in case you need personalized help.